Machine Shop Supervisor
1030 Veteran St Mauston, WI 53948 US
Job Title: Machine Shop Supervisor
Job Summary: The Machine Shop Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the machine shop, ensuring efficient production processes, quality standards, and adherence to safety protocols. This role involves supervising a team of machinists, setting work priorities, coordinating tasks, and maintaining a smooth workflow to meet production targets. The Machine Shop Supervisor also plays a vital role in equipment maintenance, training, and continuous improvement initiatives within the machine shop.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise, train, and mentor a team of machinists, providing guidance and support to ensure their professional development.
- Assign tasks and monitor work progress, ensuring optimal utilization of resources and skills within the team.
- Foster a collaborative and motivated work environment, promoting teamwork and effective communication.
- Plan and organize production schedules to meet customer demands and delivery deadlines.
- Monitor daily production activities, ensuring machines are running efficiently and output meets quality standards.
- Address any production-related issues promptly, implementing corrective actions as needed.
- Implement and enforce quality control measures to ensure the produced components meet specifications and quality standards.
- Conduct regular inspections of machined parts and products, identifying defects and initiating appropriate actions for resolution.
- Coordinate with maintenance staff to schedule and perform routine maintenance on machines to prevent downtime and ensure optimal operation.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose equipment malfunctions, coordinating repairs and minimizing disruptions to production.
- Enforce safety protocols and regulations within the machine shop, promoting a culture of safety awareness and adherence.
- Conduct regular safety inspections, address potential hazards, and implement improvements to maintain a safe work environment.
Training and Development:
- Provide training to new machinists and ongoing skill development opportunities to enhance the team's capabilities.
- Identify training needs, organize training sessions, and keep the team updated on new machining techniques and technologies.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Maintain accurate records of production activities, machine maintenance, and inventory levels.
- Generate reports on production metrics, efficiency, and quality performance for management review.
- Identify opportunities for process optimization and efficiency improvements, implementing relevant changes to enhance productivity.
- Collaborate with engineering and management teams to implement new technologies and best practices.
Qualifications and Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent; technical or vocational education preferred.
- Previous experience as a machinist or in a machine shop environment.
- Proven experience in a supervisory or leadership role.
- Strong knowledge of machining processes, tools, and equipment.
- Proficiency in reading technical drawings and specifications.
- Excellent communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Problem-solving abilities and a proactive approach to addressing challenges.
- Knowledge of safety regulations and commitment to maintaining a safe work environment.
This job description is a general outline and may be tailored to the specific needs of the organization. It is important to include any additional qualifications, responsibilities, or requirements that are specific to the role within your organization.